Committed to improving quality of life for all and living within the earth’s limits we are taking action to reduce our environmental footprint and safeguard the earth for future generations.
Currently moderating use of resources we are committed to the creation of healing and sustainable environments. With a shared vision and approach by 2012 we will have made significant inroads in our fight to safeguard the environment. At the start of the journey we are:
- Undertaking comprehensive energy audits to establish initiatives to improve energy and water efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Creating programs to reduce single occupant vehicle trips to the workplace and associated pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Making our buildings more environmentally sustainable through the installation of energy and water saving technologies.
- Operating a number of recycling initiatives, these include recycling sterile wraps, one-use medical devices and, where clinically appropriate, reuse of medical equipment.
- Creating awareness and engaging staff with workshops and events promoting living and working sustainability.
- Guided by our environmental stewardship strategy we continue to adopt sustainable practices in the delivery of our healthcare services.
By integrating environmentally sustainable principles into the way we operate, we know that we can contribute to a healthier planet and community.
At the Mater our environmental stewardship policy outlines how we are committed to:
- Developing environmental management systems to manage our environmental impacts.
- Measuring, reporting and aiming for continual improvement in our environmental performance.
- Ensuring compliance with environmental legislation, regulations, codes of practice and healthcare accreditation standards.
- Using energy, water and other natural resources efficiently and in a sustainable manner.
- Reducing our contribution to global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Minimising pollution and adhering to the waste hierarchy principles of avoid, reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Continuing to develop a culture of environmental stewardship by encouraging and supporting staff to be aware of and trained in environmental management.
- Considering the environmental impact associated with the procurement of goods and services.
- Integrating best practice environmental design into all new buildings, redevelopments and refurbishments.
As our environmental journey progresses we will be reporting on the success of our environmental stewardship strategy.